Friday 2 January 2015

VEGAN COCONUT DONUTS WITH MAPLE ICING

I said I was going to post a recipe for baked donuts a looonngg time ago in my first donut post.  Sorry it took me so long! These are so insanely easy to make.  It probably took me a half an hour tops and that includes making icing and baking. The longest part is waiting for them to cool down.  The icing recipe I used is from my maple scone recipe. (There's a link attached here) its an amazing icing recipe thats super versatile. It works great for donuts, danish's and scones! I love making baked donuts because you can eat so many guilt free:) They are much healthier for you and much less oily. I hope you love making and munching these easy, healthy and delicious donuts.



Recipe
Makes 14 donuts


2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
pinch of sea salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup turbinado sugar
1/4 cup earth balance, melted
1/2 cup of unsweetened almond breeze
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Steps
Preheat your oven to 350 F. Combine all your dry ingredients except the sugar into a large bowl. Stir together well with a fork to make sure all the lumps are out and everything is well incorporated.  Melt your butter and pour it into a medium sized bowl. Add your milk, vanilla and sugar. Stir together well with a fork. Make a well in the middle of the dry mixture. Pour all your wet ingredients into the well. Stir all the ingredients well together with a big wooden spoon. Once it mostly mixed together begin to knead it with your hands. It should form into a doughy ball like this!

*My mom bought me that beautiful rolling pin for christmas. She also bought me the cute green platter and the funky plate. Thanks Mama <3






Once your dough is formed prepare an area on your counter to roll your  dough out. I have a donut cutter so if you don't have one you can cut your dough into thin long strips and form the two ends together by pinching the dough together with your fingers.
Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface. It needs to be about half an inch thick to make the proper size and amount. Begin to cut your donus out. Prepare a lightly oiled baking tray and place the cut donuts on the tray. I used the middle of my donuts to make donut bites too! Place them in the oven and bake for 8 minutes. Let them cool for a half hour before icing.



You can get the icing recipe here. Sprinkle your donuts with your favourite toppings and serve!



No comments:

Post a Comment