Monday 15 September 2014

CARROT CAKE WITH STRAWBERRY CREAM CHEESE FROSTING

CARROT CAKE
WITH STRAWBERRY
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING

Hello again! Vegan Mofo day 15 and I thought I'd post my carrot cake. I loved carrot cake as a kid and this recipe is just like the non vegan kind I used to have. I did originally just get regular white frosting mix to put on the first cake that you'll see but then I decided to get creative and make my own icing recipe! This recipe is good for making double layered carrot cakes or just two if you have tons of mouths to feed! I tried it both ways because I was decorating my cakes for fun. This is also the most sugar I have used in any of my recipes. If you don't like using alot of sugar in your recipes like me substitute 1/4 cup of your sugar for 2 tablespoons of agave syrup. Its more natural and healthy for you than regular sugar. Its also raw! I hope you like this healthy recipe:) See you mofos later.



CAKE RECIPE

2 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons flax seed, ground
3/4 cup warm water
3/4 cup organic white sugar (there's a link to the sugar I use)
1/4 cup of earth balance buttery spread, melted (theres a link to the butter)
1/4 cup of almond milk(theres a link to the milk)
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups carrot, shredded
1 cup walnuts, chopped

FROSTING RECIPE

1 cup of powdered sugar (wholesome sweeteners of course)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup almond milk
1/4 cup earth balance buttery spread
*add cornstarch if your mixture is too runny

STEPS

Preheat your oven to 350. Grease two 8x8 pans with vegan margarine. Shred two cups of carrots. In a small bowl sift together all your dry ingredients (flour to salt). In a larger bowl whisk together your flax seed and warm water. Whisk until its completely mixed in. Add your sugar and oil and beat together well. Next add your shredded carrots and vanilla. Once everything is stirred together you can slowly start to add your dry ingredients. Stir it occasionally while adding. Whisk together until mixture turns into a batter. The consistency should be thin enough so you can pour it off into your pans so if its not runny enough add some more milk! Stir in your walnuts and pour the batter into two equal parts in your prepared pans. Bake for 18-20 minutes.
Now while thats baking you have time to make your frosting. Combine the cream cheese and melted butter with a fork. Stir together well then add the cinnamon, vanilla and almond milk. Beat together until completely mixed together then begin to add your sugar slowly while mixing. Stir together until the mixture becomes light and fluffy. You'll be able to tell when its ready haha. Pop it in the fridge until your cake is ready. Once your cake is ready take its out and test it with a toothpick. Make sure it comes off clean. Let it cool for ten minutes then have fun decorating!
I decorated my cakes with cut almonds, walnuts, strawberries and shredded carrot. Coconut or raisins would be amazing too. Get creative and make them look pretty thats the best part:)


  

No comments:

Post a Comment